A Guide to Creating Successful Negotiation Strategies
Most business activities, including planning, marketing, building working relationships, mediating disputes and conflicts and making deals are resolved through effective negotiations. How can you improve your ability to make collaborative deals, influence decisions, build better working relationships and resolve problems? This two-day course will provide you with the knowledge, understanding and guidelines to improve your negotiation planning and business relationships, as well as your day-to-day management through effective negotiation and communication strategies.
The key benefits of attending this seminar include:
- Improved working relationships
- Enhanced organizational and personal effectiveness
- Establish collaborative proactive negotiation strategies
- Make better deals
Course learning objectives and key teaching points include:
- Negotiation strategies and tactics – negotiating to the desired outcomes for all parties.
- Distinguishing interest-based from positional-based negotiations.
- Preparing for negotiations – developing a negotiation plan.
- Types and styles of negotiations – win-win versus win-lose.
- Developing an influencing strategy and problem solving process.
- Understanding different personality types and their effect on negotiations.
- Negotiation considerations and deceptive tactics.
- Questioning techniques and information gathering.
- Planning for and devising concessions and bargaining tactics.
- How to negotiate through deadlocks and impasses – mediating differences.
- Contract negotiations.
- Team negotiations.
Participants will gain the practical knowledge to plan, prepare and conduct various types of negotiations. This will be done through group discussions, a review of the video “Getting to Yes”, and various negotiation exercises. The exercises will focus on planning negotiation strategies, questioning techniques and acquiring information, breaking deadlocks and impasses, and bargaining strategies and tactics using both individual and team negotiating methods and various communication styles. Throughout this seminar, participants will be afforded many opportunities to focus on, discuss and understand human behavior as it relates to effective negotiation.